Instr on Certain Matters Regarding Most Holy Eucharist
Redemptionis Sacramentum. This instruction was promulgated by Pope John Paul II on March 25, 2004, and treats certain matters pertaining to the discipline of the Sacrament of the Eucharist in order that especially in the celebration of the sacred liturgy the church might duly safeguard so great a mystery. Prepared by the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments, in collaboration with the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith.
The document takes up the discussion of certain liturgical norms in order to assure a deeper appreciation of them; to establish certain norms by which those earlier ones are explained and complemented; and also to set forth for Bishops, as well as for Priests, Deacons and all the lay Christian faithful, how each should carry them out in accordance with his own responsibilities and the means at his disposal. Those things found in this Instruction are to be read in the continuity with the Encyclical Letter, Ecclesia de Eucharistia.
- The Regulation of the Sacred Liturgy: the role of the Bishop, the Conference of Bishops, priests and deacons
- The Participation of the Lay Christian Faithful in the Eucharistic Celebration
- The Proper Celebration of Mass
- Holy Communion
- Certain Other Matters Concerning the Eucharist
- The Reservation of the Most Holy Eucharist and Eucharistic Worship Outside Mass
- Extraordinary Functions of the Lay Faithful: Extraordinary ministers, preaching, Celebrations carried out in the absence of a priest